Tuesday, November 30, 2010

there's only one way home




So... I embarked yesterday on a 2-week tour with my pals from The Gracious Few. Sadly, I will miss 2 full weekends at Ecclesia, during Advent, no less. Much of what brought me to Houston is exemplified in how this church approaches Christmas. It has truly changed my life and perception of Jesus and his church. So, it is difficult to be away during this time. (not to mention 2 beautiful kids and a pregnant wife at home, holding her own).

When I started this line of work in May 2006, it was definitely a temporary gig. I mean, I had 2 young kids and a wife at home, a good job, and played music with some amazing musicians (India, r.i.p.). But alas, I would come to discover a talent for tech-ing, and possibilities for a bright career in such a not-so-bright industry.

To elaborate, the years have brought many travels, flights, miles, load-ins, load-outs, bruises, busted knuckles, easy gigs, hard gigs, no-sleep-til-brooklyn gigs, failures, and successes. But, although I didn't realize the significance while it was happening, I WOULDN'T TRADE IT FOR ANYTHING. I have sort-of "found myself" through doing this work, and seeing much of the world that I otherwise wouldn't have. The experiences have shaped not only who I've become, but in a weird way, what I've been all along. Let me explain...

I was destined for the unusual, non-ordinary way of life. I've always felt that way, but never knew how it would play out. I was an only child, so my imagination would run wild, but mainly in a self-assuring "stay sane" kind of way. As a kid, I would imagine a movie being made about my life. Not that I had achieved some level of celebrity, but rather that my obscure life had been discovered to be extraordinary compared to most. Strange, I know, but it was not out of vanity, but out of protection. More on that in future posts.

My life started out a little dramatic and unique, but by college it had mainly tempered down to the usual. I've lived out the last 12 years mostly like everyone else. In a way, it's what I always wanted: security, love, picket-fenced yard (not really). But I've realized that this hasn't served me, my wife, or my kids very well. Where's the risk? And in turn... reward? Where's the life that causes ripples in the world around me? The life that teaches my kids to live radically, for the benefit of those around them? When did I become so play-it-safe that I attempt NOTHING that would bring joy to myself or others? (more about my negative-nancy nature in future posts)

So, all movie deals aside, traveling and viewing the world through my eyes has been interesting to say the least. I find the most obscure things, extraordinary; and the least interesting things, the most interesting. I've sat on a street-side bench in Rotterdam, Holland on a snowy day, and wondered how many times snow has covered that bench, how many times a bicycle has been chained to in, how many people have sat at the bench and wondered how long the bench had been there (answer to the last one: only me). I will watch snow out the bus window in the Pacific Northwest and wonder what the pioneer spirit was REALLY like. How did people end up in this particular area to settle? What made them stay?

There's few other times that I feel connected with my purpose(s) than when I'm traveling. It's both therapeutic and inspiring. It renews my creative spirit (one that's been m.i.a. for a few years). I hope to elaborate on this in the days to come. I feel that there's a journey starting that I haven't planned, but has been coming for some time. And frankly... I need it.

Stand by.....

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Loved reading this post! It is always incredible to look at your life and say "I wouldn't trade it for anything"! One thing I can say about you and Amanda is you always go where God leads you and do what God wants. I just love the lives you guys live. God Bless you guys! Love ya!